Kubuntu backports or CI

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Dec 3 09:39:53 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Martin van Es <mrvanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Kubuntu for a very long time now and was always happy to
> find freshly baked binaries that followed KDE development at a close pace in
> backports. Lately it seems kde-backports did not (yet) catch up on KDE's
> release of e.g. Frameworks 5.16.0 or Applications 15.08.3?
>
> The main reason for using Kubuntu was the ease of debian package management
> and the ease of upgrading when KDE released new versions.
>
> Is the lack of backports to Wily collateral damage of the Jonathan Ridell
> stepping down? Or, do I need to look closer at CI?

Continuous integration is only used by the developers, as Continuous
integration is a method to test packages as they are built, do you can
safely ignore that. If you are interested on how continuous testing
works, I suggest you have a look at this page instead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration

> Can anybody shed some light on this backports/update spaghetti and tell me
> if there are plans to get backports back to what it used to be or where to
> start with CI? Is there a CI setup, that resembles what I experienced using
> backports?

Basically there are only two PPA's that are meant to be used for
stable packages: the updates PPA, and the backports PPA:

apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

The only other interesting one for the average user could be the
repository for Beta releases, as Beta packages are usually fairly
stable:

apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta

Since we have many new people on board to help with packaging, there
is some learning to do, and they all work on this on their free time,
so a little patience is needed..

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org