No sound in 14.04

David david at hackbinary.com
Mon Aug 31 19:02:20 UTC 2015

Sorry, I may have confused to separate, but related things:

1.) If I was in your shoes, and it is most safe to the use the Kernel
Enablement Stack, so I would do that:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack  I have loaded the kernel
part of the Enablement Stack on all my servers running 14.04 without any
problems.  I think this will give your 3.19 kernels on 14.04.

2.) I am currently running KUbuntu 15.04, and I have downloaded and
installed the kernel files out of this folder:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.2-unstable/  .
Specifically, I wanted the newer and better support for Toshiba and AMD/ATI
hardware chipsets.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-3.20-x86-Platform-Drivers
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-157-open&num=1
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-AMDGPU-Released

This all works very well for me, and I have no idea how they will work with
Mint.   Your results may vary, and make sure you have good backups.

Good luck!
David

--
David

Email   |  david at hackbinary.com

I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising
than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is
not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
 - J.B.S. Haldane