No sound in 14.04

David david at hackbinary.com
Sun Aug 30 14:10:32 UTC 2015

Hello,

Okay, I got it slightly wrong.   You want to install the LTS enablement
stack.

It seems to me that your problem is with the Kernel support rather than the
ALSA system.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I'm running the (even newer) 4.2 kernels from kernel.ubuntu.com because
with v4 and later there where major improvements with the Toshiba
hardware/firmware support and with ATI/AMD driver support for the
opensource ATI/AMD chipsets.  You can download newer kernels from
kernel.ubuntu.com

Your mileage may vary.  Make sure you have good backups, but when a Kernel
has not worked, I have always been able to go back to an older kernel
through the bootloaders 'Advanced' menu.

Good luck.

David

--
David