Files in Paste.Ubuntu.com

Richard Barmann reb at barmannsbar.com
Thu Aug 20 15:32:39 UTC 2015

On 08/20/2015 02:13 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Richard Barmann composed on 2015-08-19 20:38 (UTC-0400):
>
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/12126008
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/12126078
> These tell us that the installation these came from is using the proprietary
> nvidia 304.125 driver and does not have KMS disabled. Also is told it's using
> the 32 bit 3.19 kernel, which is a 15.04/Vivid kernel.
>
>> I went to the nonworking Kubuntu in a terminal
> Exactly what does this mean? Did you boot into emergency mode in the broken
> installation?
>
>> and dug down to
>> /var/log/xorg.0.log. Could not get it to open.
          I got this today. Is it the other log?
http://paste.ubuntu.com/12136077/
          Opened in Office Writer. It seems to be different. Don't know
how I got split screen to compare.
Found, but not opened, or not found? Booted to what? You cannot get any
of Dolphin or Kate or Midnight Commander or Kommander or Firefox or
Konqueror to open it?
>> Went to /ect/X11 and found NO Xorg.config or anything near that ..
> Absence of /etc/X11/xorg.conf here probably means the nvidia driver never got
> installed on the installation on the partition containing this location.
> Installations using FOSS drivers usually need no /etx/X11/xorg.conf file.
    This morning I found an Xorg.conf.02122015 I pasted it
here.http://paste.ubuntu.com/12136153/

> It seems as though you managed to get 15.04 installed and are using it to
> post to all these mailing list threads you created, but you've reported video
> trouble only on the "newer" of two installations. It's hard to make sense of
> what happened, but it seems like you're trying to fix something that isn't
> broken, maybe as a result of a confusing boot (Grub2) menu. You should have
> at least two different grub.cfg files one at least on each HD. If we saw both
> on pastebin and knew which came from which partitions we might be able to
> tell what happened, but I'm not sure it would matter.
> I am Emailing with Xfce. the working files for log are from Xfce.
> What's the output of 'grep VER /etc/os-release' on your working OK Kubuntu
> installation?
    I am Emailing with Xfce. The working Log I sent is from Xfce. I will
try to get a log from the non loading Kubuntu.
    It comes up on the Password page drop down as Plasma. I can enter a
password and it accepts it and go to a blank screen.
If some one could wzalk me throgh deleting and renameing partitions I
would delete the version 15.04 of Kubuntu and install 14.xx for now and
try again when the new 15.xx come out in a month or two. I hope what I
have sent now will give you a clue as to what I should do. If yo need
anything else please let me know . I think I have figure out how to send
these files.
Dick Barmann