choosing replacement video card

Richard Barmann reb at barmannsbar.com
Sun Aug 16 04:51:28 UTC 2015

On 08/15/2015 11:59 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Richard Barmann composed on 2015-08-15 23:01 (UTC-0400):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>> Did you ever replace your GeForce 6200 video card you reported using here 6
>>> weeks ago? Maybe you are suffering from using a card with defective driver
>>> support?
>> No I did not replace anything because I need someone to tell me what to
> That's a tricky thing to try to do. First we need to know if your 6200 is
> part of the motherboard or is a separate card similar to this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125402
>
> If not a separate card, then we need to know if the motherboard has a slot
> designed specifically for a separate video card. Given the age of the 6200, a
> slot if present would most likely be of PCI Express 16X type. If there is no
> PCI Express slot, then you would need a PCI type, and of course an empty slot
> to put it in.
>
> To put a card in a slot requires knowing the approximate size of the computer
> case. If it's around 4" or so thick, you would need a low profile type. If
> it's around 5" or more, and standard type would be needed. Many lower priced
> cards come with both brackets so that they can fit either case type. Usually
> changing the bracket is a simple matter of two screws.
>
> Once all the above is accounted for, it becomes a matter of choosing your
> poison. There really are too many choices. Odds are the one linked to above
> would work for you. Read the reviews on it. If the low ones bother you more
> than the good ones please you, choose another according to what you are
> comfortable spending, and read its reviews the same way. Odds are whatever is
> available locally at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot or WalMart would work
> equally well. All should be at least 5 years newer than your 6200.
>
> To maximize the possibility that whatever you choose will work in Kubuntu
> 15.04 with the least amount of fuss, make sure it's not a model less than a
> year or two old, and make sure it has an NVidia (aka GeForce) video chip, so
> that it should work immediately with the already installed nouveau driver in
> the XFCE you already have installed.
>
> Sites like the following should help you decide if you want more info than above:
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/116598/how-to-select-which-graphics-card-to-use
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9553/how-do-i-choose-a-graphics-card-for-linux
> http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/513
> http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2080267/graphic-card-vendor-linux.html
> http://www.currentbuild.com/video-card.php
>
> My personal choice is ATI/AMD over NVidia, because the ATI/AMD FOSS driver
> seems to be less often troublesome than nouveau, whereas more NVidia users on
> Linux prefer using proprietary drivers. Also I don't use puters for games.
>
>> replace it with. I am in Newton County, GA On Ga highway 212  2 miles
>> west of the intersection of 212 and 162. Just above the Henry County line.
> [...]
I have the card in a PCI slot at this time, The motherboard is P4M800
Pro-M7. This is the card in there now. NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module
304.125. I went to sysinfo to find that. The G-Force went out and I
ordered one on line
  it would not work and the seller would not give me a refund so I
bought the NVIDIA locally.