15.04 issues

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Apr 25 14:37:44 UTC 2015

On 04/25/2015 08:51 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Billie,
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>> On 04/25/2015 01:57 AM, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> Muon package manager seems to have issues in finding packages
>>
>> Muon has been a joke from it's inception. Install Synaptic, but you can't do
>> it from Muon because Muon can't find it.
>>
> Because you don't use the Muon package manager. There is a huge
> difference between the Muon Discover application which indeed doesn't
> find half of the stuff. But the Muon package manager works pretty
> flawlessly here (Kubuntu 14.10), much better than synaptic used to
> work. The latter has seen some serious downgrading as it is not
> actively maintained anymore.
>
> The difference is this one:
>
> muon = package manager
> muon-discover = package browser that doesn't really work as well as expected.
>
> Removing muon-discover solve the problem quite well. Since 14.10
> (maybe even earlier, can't remember when exactly) muon works very much
> like synaptic did.
>
> As for Kubuntu 15.04: I totally agree with Orjan here, not for me, I
> guess I will toy around with it on the test laptop, but it is too far
> from stable for my productive computer.
>
> Regards, Myriam

The only way I have ever been able to get Muon to do squat is to
download a .deb file and install from the download folder.

In my "menu" all that shows is "Muon Discover (Software Center)" and
"Muon Update Manager".

Just because it isn't being actively maintained doesn't mean it doesn't
work. My ol' Granpappy used to say, "If'n it ain't broke, don't fix it."

--
A cat is a puzzle with no solution.

Cats are tiny little women in fur coats.

When you get all full of yourself try giving orders to a cat.