windows not preserved across sessions

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 07:35:36 UTC 2015

On 24/04/2015 19:34, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Glenn Holmer wrote:
>> On 04/24/2015 12:07 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> BTW: Did you try my workaround with kstart?
>>
>> Yes, I did. It didn't work for me:
>>
>> cenbe at shoggoth:~/.kde/Autostart > ls -l
>> total 4
>> -rwxrwxr-x 1 cenbe cenbe 75 Apr 24 07:15 session.sh
>> cenbe at shoggoth:~/.kde/Autostart > cat session.sh
>> #!/bin/bash
>> kstart --desktop 1 konsole
>> sleep 10
>> kstart --desktop 8 firefox
>> cenbe at shoggoth:~/.kde/Autostart >
>>
>> although the script does work if I run it from the command line. I
>> don't know if that location is supposed to magically pick up scripts
>> and run them,
>
> At least this location worked in the past (14.04). Copy or symlink a
> script there and it is automatically started.
>
>> but I also tried setting it up from System Settings /
>> Autostart ("Add Script" button), which I couldn't get to work either.
>> I moved the script to ~ and let System Settings create a symlink in
>> ~/.config/autostart, but it doesn't appear to run. Also, after exiting
>> and restarting System Settings, the script is no longer listed there.
>
> I just tried it with the 15.04 live-image and you're right. I also
> couldn't make it work. That looks like another bug to me :(
>
>> In any case, I don't want to have to diddle about with scripts and
>> experiment with sleep times; I want the existing feature in the menu
>> to work. Otherwise what is it there for? It makes Plasma look
>> amateurish.
>
> Agreed. Let's hope that at least the next Kubuntu version has the bug
> fixed.

This and issues like not having different widgets on virtual desktops
stops me dead. So I tried Activities instead and the keyboard switch
shortcuts do not work, at least in the VM setup I am testing it in.

No for me this is a TOO early release by Kubuntu, no matter how "shiny"
Plasma 5 may be. I will keep the VM running to see if at a later stage
with upgrades it improves enough for me.

I can not run that for my work computer, in short.

Sinclair