14.04 Questions

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Apr 21 08:42:57 UTC 2015

Bill vance wrote:
> On 4/17/15, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Bill vance wrote:
> >> Thanks gang, I'll try to find pager.  What about my other question,
> >> though? Seems like the functionality is just going away for nothing
> >> anyone wants.
> >
> > That was the question about switching screen resolutions ...
> >
> > It may depend on the graphics driver you are using, but I'm not
> > sure.
> > With my nvidia card the default was only the best resolution my
> > monitor can use. I made my own xorg.conf (for the proprietary
> > nvidia driver) which includes the resolutions I want to use. With
> > that xorg.conf I can switch resolutions like it has always worked.
>
> Can you suggest a source of info about how to do that?  I can recall
> dealing with that sort of thing years ago, but that was on Caldera
> Linux;  Ancient History.  I don't even know where they hide it these
> days.

I don't remember how I created the xorg.conf - probably I reused an old
file from a time when it was still needed by the X server. Anyway, here
is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf which uses the proprietary nvidia driver:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "BlankTime" "0"
    Option         "NoPM" "1"
    Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option         "OffTime" "0"
    Option         "DefaultServerLayout" "Layout0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1600x1200 +0+0; 1280x960 +0+0; 1024x768
+0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Disable        "evdev"
Endsection

I suppose you can't use it directly as it is unlikely that you have the
same monitor. Furthermore you may not like that I have disabled screen
blanking. So check each line before you use it in your own file. Perhaps
it would be sufficient if you only use the section "Screen".

Nils