Updating to 15.04

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Sat Apr 4 03:48:35 UTC 2015

On Friday, April 03, 2015 11:31:42 PM Richard Barmann wrote:
> On 04/03/2015 10:41 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Friday, April 03, 2015 10:26:13 PM Richard Barmann wrote:
> >> After I log in I get the next screen which has a band across the middle
> >> and a line that shows it is loading something. Then I get the blank
> >> screen. I can get to the terminal and Login to it. At that point I tried
> >> the solutions shown in the Bug at
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sddm/+bug/1431332.
> >>
> >> Is there a place I can get the info about my PC. : Video, Hard Drives.,
> >> Memory?
> >>
> >> Dick Barmann
> >
> > Since  you are actually getting a desktop (albeit without plasma running),
> > you can try this:
> >
> > alt-f2 to bring up Krunner, and type in 'plasmashell'
> > This will restart the desktop part of KDE.
> >
> > My guess is that Plasma crashed; this is what provides your desktop
> > things,
> > such  as wallpaper, widgets, taskbar, etc. If this does brings up your
> > desktop, you should try updating your system to see if this fixes this
> > permanently. In older versions of Plasma5 and Frameworks5, I had this
> > happen, and usually once Plasma was up and running, it would be fine
> > afterward.
> >
> > Also note that using Krunner, you can still run applications if  you
> > need/want to, even without Plamsa running.
>
> I get nothing with Alt/F2.
Ok, nit good, probably
> With Ctrl/Alt/F2 I get a terminal. If I type
> in krunner I get
> ----------------
> QXcbConnection Could not connect to display
> Aborted  (Core Dumped)

This is correct, as while you are in the vt (virtual terminal) you are not
"connected" to the graphics bit; in this environment, you would have to modify
the command to specify where the display is. This is why I suggested krunner.

> --------------------
> I am letting it boot up to the second screen (next after the login) and
> then trying Alt/F2. I guess I am doing something wrong.
No, I don't know what it could be, though.
You could and see if opening programs from krunner works.. You don't have to
know the exact name, but if you type in 'muon'  or 'software', it will show
the different programs that deal with this subject, and you can use the gui to
update your system, if you don't wish to do so using the command line.

You could also use krunnrer to open Konsole and try running 'plasmashell' from
there and see if there are any error messages.
L4 - Same as R4. - select dupes
Utility Rating
N/AOTSRRUV
Page Quality Rating
N/ALowestLowMediumHighHighest
Porn: NoForeign Language: NoDid Not Load: NoComment
L5 - Same as R5. - select dupes

--
Clay Weber