A note about the Unicorn (14.10) final beta

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat Sep 27 16:33:42 UTC 2014

Yesterday I downloaded the 14.10 final beta for Kubuntu.   I normally
don't pick up a beta this quickly but figured since it was a final, why not?

I ALWAYS do a fresh install and then make appropriate changes where
necessary.  So I started the install and the whole install took about
2.5 hours including downloading all of the extra packages that I
normally add on.  (imagemagik, etc)

And I haven't looked back....  that is, I haven't had to go back to
14.10 for any reason.  Everything seems to be working as well or better
than it was in 14.04.  Even the install was trouble free which is
usually NOT the case.  I always set up my disks prior to starting the
install and then do a manual specification of where everything should
go.   And I usually have a blow-up when trying to specify more than
about 3 partitions.  Not this time.

The only problem I had was booting from a USB stick which I made from
the ISO.  (AMD64 desktiop)  The boot came up with a COM32R error saying
that the boot image was not in COM32R format.  Whatever that is.  Well,
that was a showstopper until I googled it and someone said to reply
either "live"   or "install"  to the   boot: prompt.   Sure enough, that
solved the boot problem and everything went just fine from that point.

Just letting folks know how well the 14.10 install went....   Might be
the best install yet.