bash security hole

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 25 08:46:14 UTC 2014

On 09/25/2014 10:38 AM, Errol Sapir wrote:
> I received this url from a Linux friend of mine.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/bug-in-bash-shell-creates-big-security-hole-on-anything-with-nix-in-it/
>
> I did the test and saw I was vulnerable so I did read the Ubuntu page,
> did the "fix" which is
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> and am no longer vulnerable.
>
> Errol

Thanks for the tip. I run Fedora 20. It has the same vulnerability, but
no patch was issued yet. Hopefully the patch is in the pipeline.

For me it is not that urgent as my machines have no open ports to the
internet (no open servers). However, I will feel better when this is
patched. It is a pretty simple way to break in. Yes, I really fear
script kiddies -- of any age -- xD.

Guus.