Screen Size/Richard Barmann

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 25 19:32:05 UTC 2014

Richard Barmann composed on 2014-10-25 15:12 (UTC-0400):

> I installed the the driver that you suggested with no difference. The

Upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log again. It changes each time you boot or restart
the X server, and will necessarily be different if a different video driver
gets used. That log has clues to tell what problems are occurring. When your
display works right, most or all lines containing (EE) will no longer appear
in it. The (EE) lines are the main clues.

> screen seems to be closing to the Status bar and I have to reopen it as
> I work or type. Also I had a small window constantly open in the middle
> of the page and I would have to hit enter to remove it. That window
> would be a miniature of the Firefox  page I have open.

What you find on the desktop would better be left to deal with after the X
configuration is correct for your display's native 1680x1050, after the black
bars are gone.

> I do not understand about "KMS" not being enabled.

KMS means kernel mode setting. KMS is a function introduced several years
ago. It is required to be disabled for some drivers (e.g. Nvidia), and
enabled for others (e.g. Nouveau). With most kernels since it was introduced,
it is enabled automatically unless the system is booted with nomodeset or
equivalent on the kernel cmdline. It can be added on the fly from the boot
menu if needed and not present.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/