Best partitioning?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu May 1 08:44:16 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 10:20, errol at tzora.co.il wrote:
> Thanks for your replies, Cody & David. The reason for me asking the
> question is that I want to get to optimum usage from my setup. The
> 120giga is a ssd. The idea was to put all Linux related stuff (including
> /home) on the ssd BUT then I read somewhere that too much use of the ssd
> will "wear it out". So then I thought of putting my /home on the sata
> drive. Also I haven't worked out how to partition the ssd if I put the
> /home on it beacause I also intend to have a few OS's as virtual
> programs. Still undecided.
> Errol

There is no "perfect" answer to this. Depending on how much data you
have the 1 TB should be your choice for /home even though it will be
slower in reading/writing your files.

having it all on the SSD renders the 1 Tb kind of useless. I think if I
were you I would put all but /home on the SSD, thus getting fast boot
(hopefully) and fast software loading. And at the same time having a
huge storage for files of whatever kind.

regards
Sinclair