[14.04 64Bit] - Best Method To Clone A 1TB Hard Drive In Kubuntu?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu May 1 07:09:24 UTC 2014

Jesse Palser wrote:
> What is the best method to clone a 1TB hard drive to another empty 1TB
> hard drive in Kubuntu?
> I tried "dd" command in Terminal, but it's been running for 5 hours
> and it does not show progress.

How did you connect the second disk? If it is connected via USB 2.0, you
can expect about 25MB/s transfer speed. That would be about 11 hours for
1TB.

And yes, unfortunately there is no prograss bar for dd, but you could
use the command

killall -USR1 dd

which will instruct the running dd comand to print a message about the
progress. And be careful that you use exactly "-USR1" because otherwise
you might abort the command.

> I looked in Muon Discover for a hard drive cloning software but did
> not see anything useful.
> I would prefer some application with a GUI over Terminal commands.

You could try "gparted". There you can see the progress while copying
partitions.

Nils