no desktop effects in Trusty

Glenn Holmer shadowm at lyonlabs.org
Sun Mar 30 15:22:45 UTC 2014

I have Trusty installed and up to date on a desktop machine, and it
won't render some of the desktop effects I normally use (e.g. wobbly
windows, magic lamp), either with nouveau or the propreitaty nvidia
driver. It's now running the nvidia driver (lsmod shows nvidia and not
nouveau) at version 331.38-0ubuntu6. This is not a small machine (Intel
i7 @3.6GHz w/8 cores, 16G RAM).

The error I see in when clicking the Detail button in systemsettings is
"effect requires OpenGL", but both kinfocenter and the Nvidia server
settings dialog show OpenGL information. The graphics card is a GeForce
GTX650 (kinfocenter shows OpenGL/ES version 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38).

Is anybody else having issues with this on Trusty? Any advice?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)