KDE no longer starts after login

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 13:39:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 15:29 +0200, mls at xlist.pw wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2014 14:13:08 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Did you check the log files?
> >
> > User session:
> > $ cat ~/.xsession-errors
> I don't see anything that is written to. To ensure I removed the file and
> rebooted and logged in again. The file is not recreated.
> >
> > Kernel's ring thingy:
> > $ sudo less /var/log/dmesg
> Nothing special in it. Same for /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> Thanks for your help.

That's bad. I experience issues when using RT patched kernels > 3.8.x.
My machine will lock and there are no helpful log messages.

The kernel-rt folks ask me to connect another computer by parallel port
to see what's happening, the Arch audio people recommended to remove
cards, to see if the kernel would work after a card is removed. No
options for me right now.

However, when using those kernel-rt's > 3.8.x sometimes the machine
locks when doing the login. Your issue might be caused by something
completely different, but for troubleshooting you might want to test an
older kernel.

I suspect you're using the default kernels, nothing special as e.g. a RT
patched kernel?