(K)buntu mail server

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Mar 13 17:57:17 UTC 2014

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 18:57 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > I think a Raspberry Pi (model B) could do the job as well if it is
> > for personal use. It needs only 3.5W (+ harddisk if the SD-card is
> > not sufficient for the job) and it doesn't need a fan.
>
> In my experience, with a previous version of my server which had a
> board that required an ATX power supply, even if you do have a
> "fanless" board, if you build everything into a nice enclosure you
> still need some air circulation to keep everything cool.

I'm not sure if you have an idea what 3.5W is. Many USB TV or WLAN
sticks need the max. power provided by USB which is 2.5W and those parts
don't even have the option to use a fan. So 3.5W without a fan for a
board which is considerably bigger than e.g. a USB WLAN stick shouldn't
be a problem.

> The reason I like the type of motherboard I linked to above, is that
>
> 1) it runs bog standard i686 or AMD64 type distributions

Granted, you could of course run *Ubuntu or Windows with that board, but
what else is the advantage of x86?

> 2) it takes a single 12V DC power supply, AND provides the 12V DC and
> 5V DC to power hard drives, which makes everything nice and simple,
> neat and tidy to connect up.

Well, it needs 12V, but the power supply mentioned at the link you
provided, delivers 60W which is an order of magnitude more that the 3.5W
of a Raspberry Pi. Sorry I didn't see the actual power requirement of
the board itself for a better comparison. But if the board really needs
something near those 60W, it is of course useful or maybe even necessary
to have a fan.

> Even if you set out with the intention of just building a mail server,
> Linux being very versatile, the machine will, like mine, end up
> performing other services.

Granted, if you want to do more things than just a mail server, your
board may be better suited.

Nils