Black screen after update

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Mar 4 08:52:11 UTC 2014

Dennis M wrote:
> I upgraded Lubuntu 13.04 by the terminal, it did a upgrade to 14.04
> and i get broken packets.

That looks a bit strange to me because an upgrade from 13.04 should get
you 13.10 not 14.04. What command(s) did you use for the upgrade?

> The videocard is onboard by Intel, 3ghz hp
> Compaq mt5100c desktop. The last upgrade didn't also work because of
> a black screen. I did do some terminal commands, after the start is
> now stopped by 'Stopping System V runlevel compatibility [ OK ] and
> then a flashing cursor.

Something for the GUI is missing - and that could be some of the "broken
packages" you mentioned. I would try these commands:

sudo dkpg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f

Hopefully that resolves the problem. Otherwise it might be helpful if
you can tell us the exact error message when one of those commands
fails.

Nils