muon no longer asking for authentication (and failing)

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 15:20:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 21 2014, George Dvorak <gldvorak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Robert Marshall <robert at capuchin.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 20 2014, Robert Marshall <robert at capuchin.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > Starting with the update to apt of this week (and the problem occurring
>> > on that update) when muon/apper informs me that there are upgrades, if I
>> > view them and attempt to upgrade I no longer get asked for
>> > authentication (my password) and then the upgrade fails because it
>> > doesn't have (sudo) permissions :-(
>> >
>> > I'm not aware of changing anything, has something else changed, is
>> > anyone else seeing this?
>> >
>> > Before this change a dialog used to pop up asking for my password, I
>> > entered it and the update was done. For the moment I'm doing command
>> > line `sudo apt-get upgrade`..
>> >

>> Arrgh! should have added this is with 14.04
>>
> I was having similar problems and I went to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
> deleted the lock file and now all is well. Muon just gave up. Synaptic
> pointed me at the problem. I wish that Kubuntu/KDE supported Synaptic
> rather than their packages that do not work as well.

Thanks for this suggestion I see I also have a /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
file - dated Aug 22 2012 - maybe muon has only now started noticing it? I'm
deleting it and will see if the next update runs without problem!

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/