Kgpg problems

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 06:29:57 UTC 2014

On 22/07/2014 06:55, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 06:20:38 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 22/07/2014 03:00, support wrote:
>>> Sinclair,
>>>
>>> My advice would be just stick with gnupg (files) and enigmail
>>> (email). Seahorse is deprecated / not maintained but actually
>>> still works fine too if you want GUI based key management
>>> features of
> any
>>> kind.  Its pretty much fine.
>>>
>>> Nate

>> Well, in this case gnupg commmand line also had problems and kgpg
>>
> is
>> depending on it. What went wrong I have no idea, as I wrote I had
>> to delete the gnupg.conf file twice and reimport my keypair
>> before
> things
>> started working again.
>>
>> Kgpg is "just" a gui for gnupg. As for enigmail I use it for
>> thunderbird just as I use Kleopatra for Kmail. Yes I use both
>> mail clients in order to separate work mail and other mail
>
> Since kgpg and kleopatra are both front-ends, could they possibly
> be fighting each other somehow, each one changing the gpg.conf
> file?

if so that would be bad - but no I don't think so. I think that
somewhere along the line of upgrades and "clean installations"
something went wrong with the config file. I did a "clean sweep"
installation of Trusty so possibly a newer version of gnupg could not
read my config file?

Admittedly I do not use the encryption or signing facilities very
often but when now wanted to I found it disturbing that it took me
such an effort. It seems however that I should not have blamed kgpg
but rather some change/upgrade in the underlying technology.