switching users... forget it!

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Wed Jul 16 17:31:38 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 06:39 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2014 09:10:23 Billie Walsh did opine
> And Gene did reply:
>> On 07/15/2014 11:48 PM, Scott DuBois wrote:
>>> Very well said Billie!
>>>
>>> This has been the most activity to come through this list since I
>>> subscribed many moons ago and I'm pleased to see it. Either that or
>>> something got broken between Google, the Linux Foundation and
>>> Thunderbird that is now fixed.
>>>
>>> Either way, I'm also rather new to this list and look forward to
>>> getting to know everyone as time moves on. I'm glad to hear there
>>> are lots of nice, helpful people on this list as it gives me a sense
>>> of being in the right place and with the right people. I've found
>>> that some mailing lists can be hit-and-miss with mean people that
>>> seem to show up and troll the good people making what could
>>> otherwise be wonderful conversations turn into horrible bickering
>>> matches.
>>>
>>> I know the original message was kind of hot and stressed what could
>>> have become a rather heated response from many Linux followers and
>>> advocates, but we also have to consider as you said, the person may
>>> have just had a bad day just like the person at work who out of the
>>> blue starts complaining about something. It happens, to many of us,
>>> and I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt as fire on
>>> fire just burns more down.
>>>
>>> I couldn't even begin to comprehend, or want to try, the relationship
>>> between the OP and their friend or the details behind the
>>> construction of said machine. I do feel a sense of awkward
>>> responsibility as I would really prefer everyone's fist experience
>>> with Kubuntu is a happy and productive one although I know this is
>>> completely beyond my control and I just have to accept that. In the
>>> time that this thread has been continuing, I hope our friend has
>>> been able to resolve their issue and come to the realization that
>>> the OS, more than likely, was not the cause of their pain but a
>>> victim of other hardware related issues as yourself had mentioned to
>>> be suspect. I also hope the OP has had an opportunity to reflect on
>>> the original post and thought about rephrasing such frustrations in
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> So is life, we press on. : )
>>>
>>> -- Scott DuBois President EBLUG BSIT Software Engineering Freenode:
>>> Roguehorse
>>
>> Anyone can have a bad day and wind up in a situation of mouth in mouth
>> in before brain engaged. Been there, bought the shirt, gave it to the
>> Salvation Army. In fact my original response in regards to Ralf's post
>> was not the nicest, for which I apologize to the list. I won't swear
>> that you won't run into a curmudgeon once in a while, but if you do
>> it's best to ignore and move on.
>
> I resemble that remark, but I expect I've earned the title too. :)
>>
>> The Kubuntu list is VERY quiet. Perhaps it is like my own experience.
>> Kubuntu just works.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Gene,

I suspect we're ALL guilty of such indulgences at some point or another.
What's most intriguing is how the other people react. I think at one
point, for those who have ever had the fine opportunity to work in
customer service : / persons of authority try to train others how to
best handle such situations. Often I think it's just hard-wired in
people the "fight or flight" response.

A mailing list is a little easier to deal with than a live person
screaming in your face belittling the things you support and believe in
or even the person who violently attacks you based on something you said
that they didn't like. In reading such instances, we can sit back and
think long and hard about what we've read and then make a determination
on how best to reply that will be most productive and present the best
light on the group we are representing as contributors to the mailing
list. I sometimes feel many people never think to consider such actions.
As a public mailing list, the opportunity for people to come in once and
kick people around can be inviting just to watch the response. As
ongoing collaborators, it's in our best interest to be able to dissolve
and manage those instances by "killing them with kindness".

Ultimately, we want the general public to spread word that the Kubuntu
mailing is the most awesome collection of people who are kind, helpful
and knowledgeable to their subscribers. What we don't want, that I hear
too often about some Linux forums, is how we have mean people who are
condescending and rude to people looking for help and support. As Billie
mentioned, we want LOTS of new users coming in and asking questions as
well as sticking around to help even more new users. I take the same
philosophy everywhere I go and contribute a little something to.

--
Scott DuBois
President EBLUG