switching users... forget it!

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Jul 11 12:41:50 UTC 2014

On 07/10/2014 11:00 PM, c. marlow wrote:

> On 07/10/2014 10:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Thu, 2014-07-10 at 20:37 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
>>> I just hope I dont have to put up with LINUX too much longer... Tired
>>> of reformatting.  Hope to replace this machine with a windows machine
>>> sooon!!!
>> Linux is for users with self-responsibility and using some freakish
>> distro, that does cause you issues, so that you need to sent your
>> requests to another distro's mailing list is reckless, far away of being
>> self-responsible. If you need a nanny, than Windows likely is the better
>> choice for your needs, since Linux isn't a replacement for Windows, it's
>> not intended to replace Windows, it's for users with needs that are
>> different from Windows user needs.
>
> 1. this computer came with Kubuntu ( pre built) was kinda thrown
> together for me by some friends. Lots of things dont work on it... CD
> ROM etc....
>
> 2. LM is based on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and was told it was ok to post
> here since it is based on Kubuntu.

Somehow or another I seem to have not received Ralf's reply, however I
take exception with both his attitude and message.

All I can say about his attitude is that it stinks. It is not typical of
most people on this list.

About his message, I AM just a an average home computer user. The type
that typically runs Windows. I have been successfully using Kubuntu for
many years and SuSE before that. In my experience Linux, and Kubuntu
specifically, has been just as easy to use, after the unlearning of some
bad habits left over from we all know where, and possibly easier to use
than Windows.

I question the use of "friend" in the OP's message above. It sounds to
me like his "friend" set him up to fail from the beginning. Things like
CD/DVD roms just work in my experience. Sounds like a hardware issue
rather than an OS issue. His "friend" also just dumped him in the deep
end and walked away. There is a bit of a learning curve when first using
Linux in general. My own first experience with Linux were not all that
pleasant but I stuck with it out of bull headed determination and got
through that learning curve. A true "friend" that dumps a Linux box on
someones desk out of the blue would stick around and help them through
the learning curve.

My message to the OP is to have an attitude of, "please help me
understand and learn to use this operating system," if that is what you
really want to do. An, "I want to dump this piece of S___ and get a
Windows machine," attitude is not conducive to getting good assistance

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must. like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.-Thomas Paine