Thunderbird for Mint

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Jul 10 21:16:47 UTC 2014

Doug wrote:
> On 07/10/2014 02:54 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Doug wrote:
> >> I have just opened up Mint KDE with the intention of using it--it
> >> has
> >> been installed for a while now--and I realize that Thunderbird does
> >> not seem to be readily available.
> >> I have downloaded the compacted file from the Internet and
> >> decrypted
> >> it, but now I don't know what to do next. It is a whole slew of
> >> files. How do I go about installing this?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "I have downloaded the compacted file
> > from the Internet". Do you mean you have downloaded the file from
> > the Thunderbird site? Then I think it would be much easier to use
> > the Thunderbird version coming from the Kubuntu/Ubuntu
> > repositories. If Mint doesn't use the Ubuntu repositories, you
> > could download the thunderbird packages from
> > <http://packages.ubuntu.com>. Then you would simply install the
> > .deb package(s).

> Thank you, Nils. I downloaded the file from the Mozilla site, as a
> .tar.bz and unpacked it. I think your information from the Ubuntu
> world is going to make my life a lot easier. My first shot was to
> look for T/B in the G UI package manager, where it was not found, and
> my second was the sudo apt-get install routine, which also bombed. So
> that's why my message.

OK, so you obviously tried it already from the standard repos. Then
there is still the option of <http://packages.ubuntu.com> which I
mentioned above. Of course you would need to know the Kubuntu version
which your Mint version is based upon so that you can select the right
packages.

But if that all doesn't work, there is still the question what to do
with the file downloaded from the Mozilla site. I'm not familiar with
that Thunderbird version, but usually there should be a file "README"
and / or "INSTALL" in the directory which is probably created when you
unpacked the *.tar.bz2 file. There should be an instruction how to
proceed.

Nils