Grub: file not found

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 21:49:35 UTC 2014

On Monday, January 06, 2014 12:18:17 PM Felix Miata wrote:

> It does in multiboot (OP here has 4 Linux distros) when you have Grub on
> each  / or multiple /boots and you think it is pointing to one partition
> but the Grub living there due to a cloning operation is pointing to a
> different partition. In the OP's case, Grub code in sda6's boot sector
> could be pointing to sda5, where the 11.04 kernel and initrd certainly are,
> and the 12.04 kernel/initrd are not, making booting sda6 work with sda5's
> 11.04 kernel, but not with the 12.04 kernel that has no reason to be on
> sda5.
>
> The OP here did not provide enough information to explore all possible
> avenues of failure.

Actually, 11.04 was originally on sda6 and I cloned it to sda5, then I
upgraded sda6 to 12.04.

When I start the laptop, the GRUB that appears is definitely the one on sda5.
The entries for 3.2.0-58 and 2.6.38-16 on sda6 both point to the same UUID.
One works and the other doesn't.

Since the file is actually there, I want to know if there is any other problem
which which might be misreported as an "Error 15:  File not found."

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
rjlapham at gmail.com