Grub: file not found

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Mon Jan 6 13:47:19 UTC 2014

On Monday, January 06, 2014 10:46:53 AM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 21:19 -0800, Cody Smith wrote:
> > also, for Grub (and most bootloaders for that matter) to find
> > vmlinuz-linux on a setup WITHOUT a separate /boot PARTITION (not just
> > a directory), the vmlinuz-linux file has to be at the root of the
> > filesystem (i.e. /vmlinuz-linux instead of /boot/vmlinuz-linux), this
> > is because bootloaders read the fs differently than the kernel and
> > userspace tools.
>
> Bullshit!
Please refrain from such language on the list.

> > if this is the case for you (which I don't know how this happened, the
> > debian packages should have put the image in the correct place
> > automagically), simply copy the file from /boot to / as root.
>
> Even if this would be true, a link would be the correct way.
>
> FWIW, it's also common to search the web, before asking dumb questions.
Such harshness is not welcome, either. Sending users to a search engine is little
different from the old "rtfm", and may well be worse with all the old outdated info
is discovered in the results these days.

If one does not wish to offer help, there is no need to respond.

> There are several howtos available, to solve the most likely reasons for
> this issue.
>
> And please post to the list on what sd[xy] your /boot partitions are and
> the output of "cat path/to/grub.cfg", usually its /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Clay Weber (claydoh)
Moderator hat is <ON>
http://kubuntuforums.net[1]
http://claydoh.com[2]