X memory leak with desktop effects enabled.

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:14:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <
ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have been observing a serious (~1GB/hour) memory leak while I keep
> desktop effects enabled.
>
> I am running Kubuntu 14.04, no X-related ppa enabled.  I am using AMD
> proprietary drivers on a AMD R9 270X adapter.  I have the feeling this
> could be driver-related, however, when I disabled the proprietary driver I
> had a hard time getting the system to boot (would hang with a black screen,
> related to "radeon" kernel module).  I do not really remember the kernel
> command line I used to bring it back to a text console, but I know it
> included: radeon.blacklist = yes radeon.modeset=0 single , among others
> (just including "single" would hang just after loading radeon kernel
> module).  For now, I am working without desktop effects, but it is kinda
> boring.
>
> My video adapter:
>
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices,
> Inc. [AMD/ATI] Curacao XT [Radeon R9 270X] [1002:6810]
>
> has anybody experienced a similar problem?

I am confirming this only occurs with kwin, I used compiz and it didn't
leak memory for 12 hours.  I tried replacing kwin with compiz on a kde
session (it worked, mostly), had some compatibility issues, but I was able
to use it for several hours.  I later tried "unity" session with compiz and
many effects enabled: it worked just fine too.

Today I tried to wipe-clean my .kde directory, and refrain from changing
any settings.  I am still observing and will update.

Any ideas?

Ildefonso