Setting alternative keyboard layout in Kubuntu.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Dec 28 20:25:34 UTC 2014

Hans dinsen-hansen wrote:
> My wife is German, we are living in Denmark.  She uses a German laptop
> but from time to time needs the Danish keyboard layout to write words
> like "blåbærgrød".
>
> How can I set up her laptop with Kubuntu 14.10 to toggle between
> Danish and German keyboard layout with e.g. pressing Alt-Shift.

"System Settings" -> "Input Devices" -> "Keyboard" at the "Layouts" tab
you can add the secondary layout after you have selected the "Configure
layouts" option. At the selection window for the new layout you can
select a shortcut, but it seems that Alt-Shift doesn't work here.
Instead you can omit the shortcut at this point and after selecting the
extra layout you can select the "Main shortcut" at the "Shortcuts for
Switching Layouts" area. There you can select Alt-Shift. Then you will
see a new indicator in the panel which shows the current layout and with
Alt-Shift you can toggle the layout.

Nils