new to K

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Dec 24 12:07:34 UTC 2014

On 12/23/2014 10:19 PM, Uriah Heep wrote:
> hello,
> I have just loaded kubuntu 14.10 on my hp 32bit c304-nr laptop, but I
> have no clue as to using this OS.
> When it is loaded I have a blue design screen with one small window,
> saying, THIS WINDOW IS EMPTY. I can get on the web fine, using FIREFOX.
> At first I thought that the program did not load properly, but it has
> come back up the same.
> I have searched the web looking for an easy to understand manual, with
> no success.
> I tried downloading FROSTWIRE, The file downloaded ok, but when I
> double-click to open the file all I get is a window that asks me what do
> I want to use to open it with.
> Also it does not recognize my wireless.
> help please.
>
> Clyde Poldrack

SNIP!

When you download file to run on Linux/Kubuntu, you most likely
will have to ope the .zip or .tar, whatever, using ARK because
just running a file is usually not an option.

Do you have anything else on the screen?
the "K" button in the corner works similar to "Start" in Windows.
Move your mouse around the screen and see what happens.
Be sure to go completely to the edge of the four sides.
Some time a panel is hidden until you go to the edge of the screen.

Use Firefox and go to www.kubuntu.org
That should get you a little ways.
Don't hesitate to return here with questions that arise.

Good luck!

Tom
--
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use of
reason is like administering medicine to the dead."