Off-topic: Serious, very serious hole in ntp announced today.

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 20:49:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 05:25:28 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Does anyone have an estimate on when ntp, version 4.2.8 will be
> > available for 10.04.4 LTS?

That's quite funny.

On Arch Linux ntp is sane, but gnupg isn't that sane.

$ pacman -Q ntp gnupg
ntp 4.2.8-1
gnupg 2.1.1-1

I verified 10.04.4 LTS https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases for it's
end of life date.

"May 9, 2013 (Desktop)
April 2015 (Server)"

Oops.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/ntp claims 4.2.4 and
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SecurityNotice mentions 4.2.4
isn't "recommended" anymore.

However, my main distro isn't Kubuntu, it's Arch and gnupg upstream
mentions that GnuPG 2.0.26 is stable and 2.1 is modern ;).

So what ever distro we are using, "desktop" is more important, than more
serious usage and "modern" is prior being "steady as a rock".

And since systemd became the init system for all major distros, I
suspect that a meteorite already killed all of us computer dinos,
even Mr. Torvalds isn't aware that we can't stop it.

Linus Torvalds said:

"I don't actually have any particularly strong opinions on systemd
itself. I've had issues with some of the core developers that I think
are much too cavalier about bugs and compatibility, and I think some of
the design details are insane (I dislike the binary logs, for example),
but those are details, not big issues." -
http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-others-on-linuxs-systemd/

http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1404.0/01331.html

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66034-systemd-again?-debian-drops-kfreebsd-as-official-architecture

Old faithful *nix like operating systems aren't anymore what they still
were a while ago.

That started a while back, e.g. with stuff like this
$ cat ~/.config/dconf/user

Config files that aren't human usable anymore, followed by systemd
log files that are binary.

Time to use our QLs, STs etc. again ;).

Regards,
Ralf