Installing Grub

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Dec 7 12:26:36 UTC 2014

On 12/06/2014 11:50 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Saturday, December 06, 2014 11:20:10 PM Billie Walsh wrote:
>> I upgraded to a newer laptop. I had replaced my old laptops harddrive
>> some time back so that the one in the laptop had Kubuntu on it. The old
>> Windows drive was in an external case. My new laptop has a place for a
>> second hard drive. I took the Kubuntu drive out of the old laptop and
>> put it in the external case. The new laptop booted just fine from the
>> external.
>>
>> I have a cable ordered to put the drive in the new laptop. Once I do
>> that I need to figure out how to get Grub updated to dual boot. I know
>> that if I can get it booted into Kubuntu I can do it but not being any
>> kind of command line user I don't know the command.
>>
>> Open for any suggestions.
>>
>> I know. I usually wouldn't dual boot but this laptop has capabilities
>> that I need that I can't do with Linux.
> If you can  select which drive to boot from initially, this might be all you
> need to do to get to Kubuntu and run
> $ sudo update-grub
> to  have it detect and add Windows to your boot menu.
>
> Some options that might get you going fairly easily if the above does not
> work:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
>
> I am not sure if UEFI will cause an issue
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Thank you. I knew the command was something along those lines but wasn't
sure.

There is a way to choose which drive to boot from in the Bios [ I guess
it's there ]. Booting into the Kubuntu drive shouldn't be an issue.

I beat UEFI on one desktop that I had no intention of dual booting by
installing Kubuntu on a hard drive on another computer  then moving to
the one I wanted to use it in. Kubuntu, and I suppose Linux in general,
is very portable that way. The Kubuntu drive I took from my Gateway dual
core and booted on my HP Quad core didn't even blink. Booted up and ran
with no issues.

--
“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.” - Joan Rivers