KDE 4.14 heating up my lap(top)

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Fri Aug 22 23:36:00 UTC 2014

Hi Sinclair,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed 4.14 KDE on my 14.04 laptop and find that the cooling fan
> is constantly running and the cpu-heat reports an extra 4C or so
> constantly.
>
> Starting any webbrowser from Rekonq via Qupzilla to Firefox I see TOP
> reporting that they chew from 15% CPU up to over 100.. with 1 tab open.
>
> This was not happening in 4.13.3 - anyone seeing this and have an idea
> of why and what to do?

What laptop is it? Some brands have more problems than others, and it could
simply be a kernel issue. Did you try running a previous kernel to check if
you can narrow the problem down? Since there have been a few kernel
upgrades lately that could also be an issue, not just the 4.13.3 release.
Also, talking about the degrees: what range do you talk about? I have
permanently the heat going over 70°C when using a browser on a Lenovo X220,
apparently this is unavoidable :(

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org