Can't print a .pdf

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 06:58:01 UTC 2014

On 16/08/2014 04:04, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2014 21:30:57 Clay Weber did opine And Gene did
> reply:
>> On Friday, August 15, 2014 08:54:04 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> Weird problem, I have a .pdf that  renders on screen ok, but I
>>> can't print it.  Using acroread to view it, and send it to the
>>> printer, it will munch along on the file (its north of 22
>>> megabytes) for about 20-25 minutes, eventually reporting the
>>> failure.
>>>
>>> This file contains about 4 places in it where the page is, I
>>> assume, intended to be cut down the middle of a double wide
>>> page,
>>
>> presumably on 2
>>
>>> facing pages with a binder ditch between them that does not
>>> show
>>
>> on
>>
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> But its apparent that the filters in the 10.04.4 LTS version
>>> aren't capable of doing the one double wide renderings I see on
>>> screen
>>
>> into 2
>>
>>> facing pages at the printer output.
>>>
>>> Is this something that may have been fixed in the 14.04.1 LTS,
>>> or is someone playing illegal tricks in the generation of a
>>> .pdf as a doc file for a line of semi-conductor opto-devices
>>> Toshiba is trying to sell us?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help in this.
>>>
>>> Cheers all, Gene Heskett
>>
>> What about Okular or the command lpr name-of-doc.pdf? Will it
>> print from those? I have no idea what Adobe uses for printing,
>> something built in or using the OS/system printing bits.
>
>> From the looks of the printing dialog, I'd say its using the
>> normal system
> printer gui.
>
>> Have  you looked at newer acroread from Adobe? Though since they
>> dropped Linux support after version 9.x, you are likely hit and
>> miss on being able to install it. Not sure if 14.04 will be any
>> better in the acroreader department due to the lack of new Linux
>> versions, but Okular has improved a bit in the past 4 years. Not
>> up to Adobe reader's level, but better.
>>
>> Hmm  looking at dates, it looks like 9.x is likely what you
>> already have.
>
> Yup. Precisely even.
>
>> There may be some dolphin service menus that send pdfs directly
>> to the printer that should still work on 10.04, if direct
>> printing of the file works.
>
> I had to install okular. It renders those double wide pages in the
> same manner as the old acroread.  I have issued the print command
> from its menu, but in about 1:45 since, the printer is still
> sleeping.  But another minute and its woke up. It will take a while
> as this printer is not a speed demon when doing duplex.  However,
> okular has sense enough to rotate the extra wide pages and print
> them landscape style.  Not ideal, but obviously buckets better than
> acroreads last best effort.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion to try it, it is actually getting the job
> [...]
You might be surprised over what the current Dolphin is capable of. I
was an avid user of Norton Commander in DOS/early windows and hung to
Konqueror for quite a while. But since some years Dolphin can do what
I ask for and a bit more (unless we talk web stuff where Konqi is
still your Swiss knife)

Sinclair