Permission Problem

Bill vance faptagon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 20:00:48 UTC 2014

On 8/11/14, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Bill vance wrote:
>> Still the same old same old, no change at all.  Here's what chmod did,
>> though:
>>
>> drw-rw-rw- 15 root root   4096 Aug 10 01:39 spool
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root        users       20480 Aug 11 01:41 mail
>> -rw-rw---- 1 snd           mail  270500 Aug 10 01:38 snd
>
> That's a bit strange because in another mail you wrote that it is a
> fresh install of 12.04. However a clean install of 12.04 doesn't have
> the group "users" AFAIK.
>
> Here are the perms of the /var/mail directory on any of the machines I
> have checked including the 12.04 liveCD:
>
> drwxrwsr-x  2 root mail     4096 Mar  1  2013 mail/
>
> To get the same permissions you should run these commands:
>
> sudo chown root:mail /var/spool/mail
> sudo chmod 2775 /var/spool/mail
>
> And the individual user files have these permissions on my machine:
>
> -rw------- 1 nils mail 495 Aug 11 20:54 nils
> -rw------- 1 root mail   0 Apr  3  2011 root
>
> Finally the directory / symlink mail in /var and /var/spool are
> reversed, i.e. usually there is a directory /var/mail and a symlink
> /var/spool/mail -> /var/mail. Anyway, that last part shouldn't matter,
> but it is unusual.
>

> Nils

I tried the two above commands you sent, but I'm not going to worry about
the groups just yet, as that should just make getting it to work a
little easier.
in fact, the users can now manipulate their own files again, (as well as each
others), but removing the group rw removes the users ability to deal with
their own stuff.  As I'm the only real user, and the, "users", are all aliases
I've subbed to various mail lists, to keep the list mail segregated as to which
list it came from, no biggy.

Unfortunately, alpine and mutt still can't find/open up the filesl

Bill