Search for file name in Dolphin

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Mon Aug 4 14:36:46 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 05:51 AM, Doug wrote:

> On 08/04/2014 07:41 AM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>> Hi, Doug

>>> Since Kubuntu is a KDE system, it should behave the same as my PCLOS KDE
>>> system. I can use the "Find" command in Dolphin, and it finds files
>>> with the
>>> indicated word in the filename that exist in the directory you have
>>> set up
>>> to look at in Dolphin.  In other words, if I have selected, for example,
>>> the
>>> Dolphin window /root/home/doug/Documents as my Dolphin window, and then
>>> invoke find and put in the word, "electrical" it will produce three
>>> lines,
>>>
>>> Electronics and Electrical Engineering Tools | EEWeb_files
>>> electrical-engineering.png
>>> Electronics and Electrical Engineering Tools | EEWeb.html
>>>
>>> Doesn't your find command in Dolphin work that way?
>> I believe it should, but it always says "No items found" (translated from
>> portuguese, may be slightly different in english) when I do a search
>> in this
>> specific folder I'm looking into.
>> I've tried using parts of file names (with and without wildcards),
>> complete
>> file names (with and without extension), you name it.
>> I guess there's something wrong with indexing here. But I don't really
>> need
>> desktop search, so I didn't bother trying to find out what's wrong
>> with it. If
>> possible, I'd rather disable desktop search and go for a simple file
>> system
>> search, like in the old days. Is it possible?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcelo
>>
> Use the "find" command from the command line. You can also search
> for text within a file with grep from the command line, or with Recoll,
> if your system has it, from the GUI. You need to update that every so
> often.
>
> Check the man pages for find and grep. (I find grep to be somewhat
> confusing, personally!)
>
> --doug

Here's some info on why your not getting results from trying to use
"find" on a link

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/31114/find-usage-with-l

You can use $find <path> -type l to find all your links, but then you'll
have to cd into that link and use find again to find the specific file
within that link.

Grep finds terms such as $find . -maxdepth 4 -type f | grep .html
will only go 4 directories deep and return all files that have the .html
term in them. Grep is nice because the ASCII settings for the shell
return the results in color making them easy to see. Using the default
term search of the find command does not.

--
Scott DuBois
President EBLUG