Missing NFS share interfering with shut-down -- WAS: Puzzled - how Netrunner makes it right and Kubuntu does not?

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:44:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 22:31:51 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Mike McGinn wrote:
>> Little Girl wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
>> > This is probably a long (or endless, or interminable!) shot, but are
>> > you using NFS to connect your computer to other computers in your
>> > local network? It can hang your computer on shut-down if you didn't
>> > dismount the other computer(s) before it (they) shut down.
>
>> Funny,  I use a lot of NFS mounts with Debian Wheezy and Squeeze, as
>> well as Ubuntu 12.04 and have never seen that problem. Maybe it could
>> happen with manual mounts, but anything in fstab seems to get
>> dismounted by the shutdown.
>
> Yep, the shares mounted automatically by fstab are consistently
> dismounted perfectly during shutdown *unless* one of your NFS shares
> shuts down before you do, which makes it so that fstab can't find the
> share it thinks you're still mounted to, and Bad Things Happen because
> there's nothing to dismount. In that case you have no choice but to do
> Alt+SysRq+REISUB or Alt+SysRq+REISUO.
>
> This is a common issue across all sorts of operating systems and not
> just Kubuntu. This Google search can send you way down the rabbit hole:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=nfs+hangs+on
+shutdown+if+other+computer+shuts+down+first&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

No NFS, as I already said. And again I run 3 *buntus + Netrunner directly
derived from Kubuntu itself. All 4 systems are used in the same network
environment, run on the same hardware, with the same set of drivers. All
4 configured the same way, which is adapted to my working habits. And yet
I have this problem ONLY with Kubuntu. Which to my regret I cannot use
for now.