Missing NFS share interfering with shut-down -- WAS: Puzzled - how Netrunner makes it right and Kubuntu does not?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:31:51 UTC 2014

Hey there,

Mike McGinn wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:

[SNIP]

> > This is probably a long (or endless, or interminable!) shot, but
> > are you using NFS to connect your computer to other computers in
> > your local network? It can hang your computer on shut-down if you
> > didn't dismount the other computer(s) before it (they) shut down.

> Funny,  I use a lot of NFS mounts with Debian Wheezy and Squeeze,
> as well as Ubuntu 12.04 and have never seen that problem. Maybe it
> could happen with manual mounts, but anything in fstab seems to get
> dismounted by the shutdown.

Yep, the shares mounted automatically by fstab are consistently
dismounted perfectly during shutdown *unless* one of your NFS shares
shuts down before you do, which makes it so that fstab can't find the
share it thinks you're still mounted to, and Bad Things Happen
because there's nothing to dismount. In that case you have no choice
but to do Alt+SysRq+REISUB or Alt+SysRq+REISUO.

This is a common issue across all sorts of operating systems and not
just Kubuntu. This Google search can send you way down the rabbit
hole:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=nfs+hangs+on+shutdown+if+other+computer+shuts+down+first&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This page does a good job of presenting a good theory on the cause:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24991

You will often see autofs suggested as a solution, and it will work
nicely for some, but we can imagine that it might interfere with what
we want to do if it dismounts the share when we don't want it to
(which it would automatically do).

Probably the best work-around is to mount and dismount NFS shares
manually, and be good about remembering to do it. (:

> What sayeth the logs?

[kicks self in head] [hard] I must blushingly admit to never having
checked. In my defense, this happens on shut-down and not on boot-up,
so it's not until the next day that the machine gets turned on again,
by which time we've blissfully forgotten about the troubles of the
previous evening. At any rate, I'll try to remember to get my son to
crash my computer tonight so I can boot right back up again and take a
look. (:

> What sayeth the grub config?

The grub.cfg file is mighty busy! What am I looking for? A search for
NFS didn't turn anything up.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.