HDMI problem

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 00:55:43 UTC 2014

Em sábado, 19 de abril de 2014, às 08:09:44, Phil escreveu:
> Thank you for reading this.
>
> Under 12.04, HDMI worked the way I had expected, ie what was on the
> laptop screen also appeared on the HDMI screen and the mouse pointer was
> on both screens. This changed under 12.10, and also under 14.10. I now
> have two distinct screens with no obvious way of switching between them.
>
> An application selected from the laptop appears on the HDMI screen only
> but the mouse pointer remains on the laptop screen meaning that I have
> no control over the selected application.
>
> The "settings" application is of no use in this instance because once
> the laptop is booted up in HDMI I have lost mouse function.
>
> Is there a way around this or is it a faulty function of the present
> video driver?

The behavior you describe in 12.04 is clone mode. The other behavior is an
extended desktop. When you extend your desktop to an other monitor, it behaves
as if the two were glued together creating one big monitor. However, in this
configuration, you must configure the physical position of each monitor
relative to the other using System Settings -> Screen and Monitor. There you
can also set up which monitor will be your primary monitor and in which
monitor an application should be displayed when it is opened. Also, in the
same screen you can set up the external monitor to display the same image as
the main monitor (clone mode), if you want.
For example, if you set up your system so that the HDMI monitor is placed to
the right of your main monitor, and you take the mouse pointer beyond the
right side of your main monitor, it will appear on the HDMI monitor. Likewise,
if you use System Settings to configure your HDMI monitor on top of your main
monitor, the mouse cursor will appear on the bottom of the HDMI monitor if you
take it beyond the top of the main monitor.
It seems you haven't yet configured the relative positions of the monitors, so
you have to make some tests to find out where the system thinks the HDMI
monitor is relative to your main monitor. If the two monitors have the same
resolution, all you have to do is to try to take your mouse pointer beyond
each border of your main monitor. One of them will let the pointer pass
through to the second monitor. If the resolution is not the same, it's a bit
trickier, because not all the entire length of the right border will let the
mouse pass to the second monitor.

[]'s
Marcelo