Problems with 14.04 upgrade...

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 23:16:44 UTC 2014

Uninstalling lightdm and reinstalling KDM again fixed the issue:

1. reset /etc/X11/default-display-manager to point to KDM
2. then the following commands:

# apt-get remove lightdm
# apt-get purge lightdm
# apt-get install kdm

Still have the other issue, but at least it works again.

Ben
.

On Monday, April 21, 2014 5:20 PM, BRM <bm_witness at yahoo.com> wrote:

On Monday, April 21, 2014 12:32 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> BRM wrote:
> > I upgraded my AMD64 3200 based desktop last night from 13.10 to 14.04
> > and have run into a couple issues - one of which is a show stopper.
> > 2. When bototing up, it never gets past plymouthd. The system just
> > sits there. If I press ESCape, then I can see the list of
> > "OK"/*failed"; there's a couple things that fail (don't have the
> > exact list off hand) but I can see that it keeps trying to come up,
> > but after each service is started, it is almost immediately stopped;
> > sometimes a few things get up before things are shutoff; but it never
> > really finishes booting.
> >
> > As I noted earlier, I can go to a console (CTRL+ALT+F1) and I have
> > access without an issue.
>
> I have seen this with an upgrade 12.04 -> 14.04 [1]. If you had kdm but
> not lightdm installed before the upgrade, this may be the same issue.
> The problem was that kdm is replaced by lightdm during the upgrade.
> However I had a stale config file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. Removing
> that config file solved the issue and lightdm started.
>

> Nils
>
> [1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1297936>

That's probably what it is. I prefer KDM of lightdm...can't figure out why they
are forcing a switch. I uninstalled lightdm on 13.10...I'll give that a try tonight.

Ben