Today's Thunderbird "update"

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 15:52:46 UTC 2013

From: D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: Today's Thunderbird "update"
> Wes Hardin said the following at 09/19/2013 09:28 AM :
> > On 09/18/2013 05:16 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> Following today's so-called update to Thunderbird 24.0, folders that receive
> >> new mail no longer seem to be displayed in any manner that's obviously
> >> different from those that don't. It used to be, until today, that folders
> >> containing unread mail were displayed in bold, and folders that received new
> >> mail had a different icon. The net result of this was that when one performed
> >> a "Get Mail", it was instantly obvious which folders had received new mail.
> >>
> > It doesn't appear to be a new "feature" of TB 24.  I am running TB 24 and the
> > described visual indicators are still there for me.  Even in Safe Mode.

> So to be sure we're talking about the same thing: you're saying that when you
> receive an incoming e-mail and it's filtered to a folder (called, for example,
> Kubuntu-reflector) then the icon next to Kubuntu-reflector in the pane on the
> left still changes to show that new mail has arrived in that folder?

While I applied the update yesterday, I had TB running when it updated so I didn't see anything until today.
That said, I am seeing the same result.

I use filters extensively, but I don't think it has to do with filters because even some folders that are not filtered have the same issue.

Basically, any folder that has new e-mails in it use to have its name in the tree view on the left highlighted in bold;
that is no longer the case.

This applies equally to folders that I have filtered (f.e. Inbox->Local Folders) and the destination folders (f.e. Local Folders->Company->Bugzilla->Bugzilla_Bugs), and folders that I have not filtered, (f.e. Inbox ->Gmail - an LDAP folder).

Ben