close button

Errol Sapir errol at tzora.co.il
Sat Sep 14 09:49:25 UTC 2013

On 14/09/13 12:08, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Errol Sapir <errol at tzora.co.il> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have just upgraded to KDE 4.11 and the close (X at top op app), minimize
>> etc buttons have been removed. On the KDE site they say that they've done
>> this, but don't say why or how to replace these functions with other
>> actions.
>> Is there a way out of this?
>
> Are you sure? I use the default Oxygen theme and nothing has changed
> in 4.11. or 4.11.1.
> Also where did you read this? All screenshots on the announcement page
> http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.11.1.php have the closing
> button, are you really sure this is really written somewhere? At least
> the default Oxygen theme didn't change.
>

> Regards, Myriam

Hi Myriam
This is a quote from the bottom of this url.
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/06/what-we-did-in-kwin-4-11/

I don't understand all the technical jargon but I don't have the
close/minimize/maximize buttons on any program I open. The way to close
the program for me is ALT/F4.
In the paragraph I copied I put the relevant sentence separate to emphasize.

Overall the effects have seen some changes. BoxSwitch effect got finally
the kick as the functionality is now completely available in the QML
Window Switching functionality. Explosion got the kick as it has been
unmaintained and broken for a long time. The Outline is no longer
implemented as an effect, but moved back into KWin core. The add/remove
desktop button in Desktop Grid and the close window button in Present
Windows got reworked with QML and Plasma components – another nice
improvement thanks to Qt 5.

  Present Windows has also an unpopular change: the mouse action for
closing a window got removed.

But also we have the code ready to rewrite Present Windows and Desktop
Grid with QML (a task for next version). The Maximize window effect got
a nice improvement in the OpenGL compositor: it cross fades with the
previous window texture which removes the up/down scaling which was not
looking that nice. Thanks to Aurelien for writing software exposing bugs
in KWin which require reworks allowing to implement this feature.