Unmountable DVDs

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Oct 31 14:41:38 UTC 2013

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 01/11/13 01:05, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >>
> >> Which is rather interesting because when I tried this I got the
> >> same
> >> result as doing a normal erase/format - that is, it didn't do
> >> anything and gave me the message that you don't format an already
> >> formatted disc.
> >>
> >> This was with DVD+RW. Perhaps a different result if a DVD-RW is
> >> used?
> >
> > I also got the message that you shouldn't format the DVD+RW and it
> > didn't format it when I tried it the first time. Then I used the
> > force option and k3b formatted the disk but also wrote the warning
> > mentioned in my previous mail. I don't have a DVD-RW to check it,
> > but I think there should be no difference.
>
> I was actually referring to the use of the force option (and not the
> quick format).
>
> I have 2 DVD+RWs, one with data and one with a copy of an actual DVD
> movie. Neither were touched by k3b's Force format and the contents
> therefore remained intact.

Hmm, that's interesting - is the behaviour the same with and without the
force option ticked? On my DVD+RW was an old Xubuntu livecd image before
I formatted it. Maybe it is a feature of the underlying cdrecord
version. Kubuntu 12.04 actually uses Wodim 1.1.11 - maybe your Opensuse
version behaves differently and ignores the force option?

Nils