Unmountable DVDs

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 10:32:59 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 10:22 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 31/10/13 19:11, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 10/31/2013 10:05 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> On 31/10/13 18:00, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> In his opening post Phil states, quite categorically, "A batch of DVDs
>>> were formatted using K3B so that they could be reused."
>>>
>>> "...so that they can be reused."
>>>
>>> What does this state?
>>>
>>> k3b will NOT reformat a RW disc if it has already been formatted.
>>>
>>> k3b will only format a NEW, UNUSED, blank RW disc.
>>>
>>> Try it and read the message which k3b shows.
>>>
>>> If Phil means something else then he should describe exactly what the
>>> situation is and what was formatted with what et al.
>>>
>> Well I think this is semantics. Clearly he means erasing a rewritable,
>> something many call reformatting. K3b says "format/erase rewritable
>> disc" in its menu
>
> <Sheesh>
>
> I know that.
>
> Read what I wrote.
>
> k3b will NOT format or erase any WR disc is it has already been formatted!
>
>> And as I get it following that procedure the discs are not recognised
>> by his Kubuntu system.
>
> If k3b will not format an already formatted RW disc then how can this
> happen?

Well I am not sure what we seem to be debating here.

1. he has RW DVD with old content, he wants to wipe/erase/reformat
whatever to reuse it as a blank DVD
2. using K3b and the menu Tools/Format-Erase K3b does something and then
ejects the DVD
3. on reinserting the DVD the system does not react to it
4. if taken to a windows system and same procedure done by whatever
software DVD is again reacognised by Kubuntu

I have no RW DVD so I can not do this at the moment but I have several
times done it with CD RW discs without this problem. When I reinserted
the CD my Kubuntu would recognise it and the device-notifyer give me
some action options (Dolphin, K3b and so on)

So, as I understand it, the problem lies in that K3b does something
to/with the DVD RW that disables Kubuntu recognising it

Regards,
Sinclair