Unmountable DVDs

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 31 03:08:21 UTC 2013

On 31/10/13 00:48, Phil wrote:
> Thank you for reading this.
>
> I had encouraged an acquaintance to install Kubuntu and somehow he
> managed to wipe Windows Vista during the process. Not a major disaster
> so far but still it's an annoyance all round. The current problem for
> me is that I have to provide a solution for several rewritable DVDs
> that are now unmountable.
>
> A batch of DVDs were formatted using K3B so that they could be reused.
> Unfortunately, they are now unmountable. I know this to be the case
> from my own past experience with K3B, no mater if "format" or "quick
> format" is selected the result is the same, a disc that is unmountable.
>
> While delving into another laptop I've discovered that Windows 7 is
> able to mount the previously unmountable discs and format all but one
> of them as UDF discs.
>
> Apparently buying a copy of Windows 7 or 8 is not an option. So is
> there an easy GUI for formatting or erasing discs that won't leave
> them unmountable? I've looked at "udftools" but it's use is rather
> complex.

What do you really mean by "unmountable"?

Do you mean that once they are mounted they cannot be unmounted (ie,
cannot use 'umount /dev/sdX)? Or do you mean that you cannot MOUNT the
discs?

And if it is the latter case (cannot mount them), what setting do you
have in System Settings>Removable Devices? (And if you start Dolphin
does the DVD disc show up in the left-hand window?)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.6-3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor