Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 26 08:50:48 UTC 2013

On 26/10/13 06:42, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/10/13 21:24, Bas Roufs wrote:
>
> In your first post you mention that you have 2 computers one with a
> 250GB HDD and the other with 500GB.
>
> Now, that's a lot of space to play with. And this is fine - and it now
> comes down to how best utilise this space (on either of your computers
> - and how you do it is now up to you following what I state below).
>
> Firstly, forget about using the "/" (root) and the separate /home
> partitions. Like Felix said about the swap partition size this is now
> an anachronism. Just create a partition which is simply "/" (root) -
> and that's it. /home will be inside "/" and that's all you want.
>
> Now, I have yet to see a normal, home user's, system which requires a
> "/" partition of more than 20GB - but to play it safe I always create
> a 30GB partition for "/". With this figure in mind, you can now see
> that you can have something like 8 Linux systems installed on the
> 250GB HDD - if you were that way inclined of course :-) .
>
> While I suspect that in your case you wouldn't want 8 systems (I have
> 6 systems installed btw) on your computer I would suggest creating
> space for two (2) systems: one which will the current version of your
> system and the second will be the beta/rc/whatever of the NEXT version
> of the system. You can play around with the new version but you still
> have your current and fully working version available to use every
> day. And when the new version is released and finalised and you start
> using it on a daily basis and something goes wrong, you then have the
> "old" one to fall back on.
>
> OK, so you have all this space - how to utilise it? Here is my
> suggestion:
>
> * Create a SWAP partition of 4GB (probably totally unnecessary but you
> do have a lot of disc space to play around with);
>
> * Create a 30GB partition for your system, format it in ext4 and make
> this "/" (root);
>
> * Create a second 30GB partition and you can either format it as ext4
> but do NOT mount it (in fstab) - this will be your spare partition for
> your second system;
>
> * Create a third partition of, say, 100GB and call this partition
> something like "Data" (which is what I call mine). This is where your
> will have your important folders in your real /home sysmlinked to.
> Format it in ext4;
>
> * Format the balance of your space in ext4 and call it, say, 'Spare'.
> This partition will be used to store any backups of files and whatever
> else you may think of. (Eg, I backup up my Firefox and Thunderbird
> files here as well as to an USB memory stick; also, copies of the Live
> CDs go here in case I need them at some later stage or if not then I
> simply delete them --- but you get the idea.)
>
> Of course you are free to play around with the sizes and the number of
> partitions I mention above - just adapt the idea to suit your
> requirements and needs.
>
> Now, re creating symlinks.

> [...]
Basil,

Thank you very much. I have been using Linux for a long time now, but
always had a separate partition for /home. Your setup eliminates the
problem of having old configuration files for the graphical environment.
I especially like the way you can set up several systems: I am
definitely going to use that.

I do have a few points though where things are not completely clear to me:

1. When I partition /home separately, I know my home directory will have
different file permission from a different user, say, Daniel. So when
Daniel logs on, he cannot access my files, and I cannot access his files.
If you have one partition for data, this does not apply. How do you do
that? Or you have only one user on your system? Then it is easy.

2. Some of the directories like .kde have hidden data directories. For
instance Kontakt by default stores its data somewhere below .kde. Do you
symlink that separately?

I have also considered using a main data directory from my server (just
a home server, nothing fancy), because it has a raid setup. But it has
the same file permission problems that I describe in point 1. I can
either mount it -o uid=1000,gid=1000 or uid=1001,gid=1001, but not both.

Regards,

Guus.