Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 21:24:35 UTC 2013

Dear Everybody,

thanks for all the input so far - clear enough to work with it!

For now, one question remains. Do I need to create ONE or TWO /home
partitions? Background of this question: in the thread 'Still 100% CPU when
using Kontact and Akonadi ', there was a suggestion like this one:

> Today I started from scratch an rebuilt my entire $HOME disk, with
> a lot of referencing to my old one to determine settings for KMAIL
> and desktop frills.  Now things are working like a charm.

Another similar suggestion seems to work out this in more detail:

> You mean that it is not possible in Kubuntu to create symlinks - for
kmail,
> whatever - to where you have your directories/data stored?

> For example, I have had my irreplaceable data (like Thunderbird mail
directories > and Firefox config files) sitting on a second HDD in a
directory called Special
> and my Documents, .thunderbird, .mozilla, Downloads, etc etc are all
symlinked > to Special.

> When I install a new version I don't have to worry about losing these
> directories/data because they are never overwritten by the new
installation. All I > do is create the symlinks in the newly created HOME.

This approach interests me. However, I have just one HD on each of the 2
laptops where I want to carry out the fresh installation of Kubuntu 13.10.
That's why, I am wondering whether I need to create a second data
partition with 'symlinks' to Home and with some user specific data from
Kontact and Firefox. Is it that partition that needs to stay untouched when
carrying out next fresh installs with 14.04, 14.10, etc.?
And: what exactly from Home do I need to 'symlink' to that extra data
partition?

Have a good weekend,
Bas Roufs.