Still 100% CPU when using Kontact - nearly SOLVED!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 13 03:50:12 UTC 2013

On 13/10/13 04:25, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Saturday, October 12, 2013 12:33:57 PM A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>> On 12/10/13 04:16, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>> On Friday, October 11, 2013 07:23:27 AM Bas G. Roufs wrote:
>>> You have any idea how long you've been operating with the same $HOME
>>> disk?
>>>
>>> Reason I ask is that when I moved to 13.10 BETA, I ran into some
>>> severe CPU problems with MYSQL and Akonadi and Nepomuk trying to
>>> figure things out. Never had the problem in 13.04 but I had other
>>> problems like search not working in KMAIL. Today I started from
>>> scratch an rebuilt my entire $HOME disk, with a lot of referencing to
>>> my old one to determine settings for KMAIL and desktop frills. Now
>>> things are working like a charm. When I went into my old $HOME to
>>> search for some things, I found that the layout (directory names and
>>> organization) were no where NEAR what they are under a clean $HOME.
>>> Totally different and I am surprised that the old one ran as well as
>>> it did. Just saying.... it might be time to clean house.
>> This is actually a very good tip! I think many people have their home
>> disk on a separate partition, and just either update or freshly install
>> each new version of a distribution. So do I. So when a gui or
>> distribution "reorganises:" their part of the configuration directories,
>> it usually keeps what ever you have in there from previous versions.
>> Thats where the mess comes from.
>>
>> It might even be a good idea to have the real data on a different
>> partition than the "gui-fickle" part of the home directory.
>> Usually it is the toplevel of the home directory with all the
>> configuration files etc in it, that needs refreshing once in a while.
>> The real data (documents, source, etc) could be on a separate partition.
>>
>> There is a caveat though. Some of the configuration directories also
>> contain real data. For instance .kde has some subdirectory where you
>> contacts are hidden. That is in my opinion a design error. You should be
>> able to replace a .kde directory without destroying data.
>> Unfortunately, mozilla / thunderbird / firefox do the same: your local
>> mail repo is in a hidden "configuration" directory.
>>
>> Anyway, with a few caveats, you could separate data from configuration
>> and refresh home partition once in awhile.
>>
>> Anyone else have different idea's?
>>
>> Guus.
> I guess my idea is that it would be darn near impossible to separate all that
> out!   Now that KDE is built on  akonadi/nepokuk/SQL.virtuoso  etc etc I
> consider it to all be a mess...   "Resources"  yuk!   Abd as it is. a lot of
> things still fail to work under that organization and I view it as a house of
> cards ready to fall.
>
> For example, you are supposed to be able to switch off incoming emails when
> Kmail isn't running.  A nice thing in my view.  But it doesn't work.
>
> Now if all the apps could decide on a sensible method of separating
> configuration from data, that would be a real blessing.

> [...]

You mean that it is not possible in Kubuntu to create symlinks - for
kmail, whatever - to where you have your directories/data stored?

For example, I have had my irreplaceable data (like Thunderbird mail
directories and Firefox config files) sitting on a second HDD in a
directory called Special and my Documents, .thunderbird, .mozilla,
Downloads, etc etc are all symlinked to Special.

When I install a new version I don't have to worry about losing these
directories/data because they are never overwritten by the new
installation. All I do is create the symlinks in the newly created HOME.

Simple. Been doing it for years (and it has been mentioned here and in
Ubuntu list).

BC

--
"If you read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only
  think what everyone else is thinking." - Haruki Murakami