Dummy output to sound

Eric Jackson ejazzkatt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 12:23:32 UTC 2013

I have Windows XP on my hard dive and I had Ubuntu 12.04 there too. I also
had Kubuntu 12.04 installed since it was first released. Recently I added a
PPA to get a KDE update. I was able to successfully get several updates
over time. Recently however when I installed an update KDE booted to a
black screen. In trying to figure out what was wrong, neither Ubuntu or
Kubuntu would boot. After just a few seconds they would return to the login
screen.

I decided to re install Kubuntu 12.04 but not Ubuntu. I did but had no
touchpad on my laptop and the soundcard was giving a message saying "dummy
output. I can use the mouse so that problem is not a big deal but no sound
is a major problem for me because of how I use my computer. I installed
Kubuntu 12.10 to replace 12.04 but I had the same problems.

My original installation of 12.04 worked fine so I don't know why I had
problems with the re installation. Anybody have an answer to my sound
problems? My laptop is a Compaq R3275US. I'm not sure how to tell what
soundcard I have.

Help please?