Kubuntu on top of Ubuntu?

Girard Henri girardhenri at free.fr
Tue Oct 8 09:59:45 UTC 2013

Le 08/10/2013 11:37, A.J. Bonnema a écrit :
> On 08/10/13 11:19, Chris Luck wrote:
>> On 08/10/13 08:57, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> Dont you get rather messy menu system this way with a "mad mixture"
>>> of gnome and KDE applications?
>>
>> You do indeed.  You also have to be extremely careful when opening a
>> graphics program with root permissions.  If you use gksu where you
>> should use kdesu you can foul-up the permissions and leave a program
>> unusable until you've figured out what went wrong and how to fix it.
>
> Never had this problem. If you start a program from CLI, then I would
> use sudo (either switch to root with "sudo -s" or use sudo directly.
> If you start from menu, the KDE or GNOME install procedure put in the
> right sudo (gksu or kdesu).
>
> Could you explain how you would come to use the wrong one?
>

>>> I would opt for Kubuntu clean and add whatever repos and software
>>> that Dell might have added.
>>
>> +1
>>
> I am not sure I agree, as I have been using gnome and kde beside each
> other for a long, without the problems described above.
>
> Guus.

I use both for a long time now, but if you don't need too keep the old
version you have, wait for 17 october and upgrade to saucy (maybe make a
clean new install try with a livecd to see if you have all drivers )!
I am working for it for few months now.
The only problem is maxima in texmacs.
I prefer synaptic as manager. I think I have last kde version.
Henri