Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 26 12:38:24 UTC 2013

On 25-11-13 23:28, Bas G. Roufs in English wrote:
> Hello Guus
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>> One important remark, Bas. Put Windows on the disk that is the first in
>> the BIOS. No matter where it is in hardware order, but it has to be
>> first in the BIOS. If it is not, Windows will refuse to install with a
>> sinister remark that it cannot partiition.
>> Sometimes you can change the order in the BIOS, then that is fine. Put
>> the Windows disk first and all will go well.
> To a certain extend, I already took this into account when partitioning.  The
> NTFS partition meant for Windows is nearly in the beginning of the hard disk:
> in sda2, which is immediately after sda1, the bootloader partition.
>
> However, one question remains in this context. On one hand, the HP I refer to
> contains just one HD. On the other hand, when installing, I need to put my usb
> CD/DVD drive first in the BIOS, with a view to be able to use the ISO DVD in
> that device. Is this a problem? Or can I effectively handle this situation by
> first installing Windows at sda2, before installing anything else at the other
> partitions?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas G. Roufs.

Bas,

My remark pertains to the *disk* not the partition. Windows doesn't care
about which partition it is, as long as it can use the first disk it finds.
If you have only one disk, no problem. Once you have partitioned your
device, it probably is best to install Windows first, because Windows
will trash you carefully crafted MBR.
If you install Windows first, thats no problem. Linux knows how to
integrate Windows into the Grub install.

So: just install Windows into the partition you made NTFS and all should
work.

Regards, Guus.