Unmountable DVDs

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 1 04:35:01 UTC 2013

On 01/11/13 01:41, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I also got the message that you shouldn't format the DVD+RW and it
>>> didn't format it when I tried it the first time. Then I used the
>>> force option and k3b formatted the disk but also wrote the warning
>>> mentioned in my previous mail. I don't have a DVD-RW to check it,
>>> but I think there should be no difference.
>> I was actually referring to the use of the force option (and not the
>> quick format).
>>
>> I have 2 DVD+RWs, one with data and one with a copy of an actual DVD
>> movie. Neither were touched by k3b's Force format and the contents
>> therefore remained intact.
> Hmm, that's interesting - is the behaviour the same with and without the
> force option ticked? On my DVD+RW was an old Xubuntu livecd image before
> I formatted it. Maybe it is a feature of the underlying cdrecord
> version. Kubuntu 12.04 actually uses Wodim 1.1.11 - maybe your Opensuse
> version behaves differently and ignores the force option?

Interesting indeed - in more ways than one.

openSUSE does indeed use cdrecord - but not Ubuntu/(?)Kubuntu.

Here is an extract from the "blog" of k3b's author:

quote

   OpenSuSE

OpenSuSE cdrecord packet

Ark Linux

Ak Linux ships both

Cdrtools-3.00 for Ubuntu from user Antiqua see ubuntu forum...

The Ubuntu burning team is preparing a package for the original cdrtools.

Ubuntu cdrecord+mkisofs+cdd2wav packet
Package archive of the ubuntu burning team with attitional hints (e.g.
how to modify /etc/apt/sources.list to allow the installation).

Unfortunately, Mark Shuttleworth seems no longer be interested in
freedom and stopped the attempt to make Ubuntu legal again, so be very
careful on Ubuntu.
What is the background for the forks?

unquote

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/new/private/linux-dist.html

The whole article is worth reading.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.6-3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor